How many of you assumed Johnny “Football” Manziel was going to get drafted by your team? Me too, but the nature of the draft happened and he’s now a Cleveland Brown.
It was a nail biter kind of night for Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel as he had a long wait to become the 22nd pick in the NFL draft. Manziel was one of the most anticipated players to enter the draft which took place last night at Radio City Music Hall in New York.
Who was the #1 pick? Jadeveon Clowney from the University of South Carolina. The Houston Texans snatched him up with a quickness! It should be an excellent move for the Texans.
All first round draft picks are as follows:
1. Houston Texans – DE Javeon Clowney, South Carolina
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington Redskins) – Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn
3. Jacksonville Jaguars – Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida
4. Buffalo Bills (from Cleveland Browns) – Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson
5. Oakland Raiders – Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo
6. Atlanta Falcons – Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M
8. Cleveland Browns (from Minnesota Vikings) – Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State
9. Minnesota Vikings – Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA
10. Detroit Lions – Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina
11. Tennessee Titans – Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan
12. Giants – Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU
13. St. Louis Rams – Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh
14. Chicago Bears – Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
15. Pittsburgh Steelers – Ryan Shazier, OLB, Penn State
16. Dallas Cowboys – Zack Martin, OT, Notre Dame
17. Baltimore Ravens – C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama
18. Jets – Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville
19. Miami Dolphins – Ja’Wuan James, OT, Tennessee
20. New Orleans Saints (from Arizona Cardinals) – Brandin Cooks, WR, Oregon State
21. Green Bay Packers – Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama
22. Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia Eagles) – Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M
23. Kansas City Chiefs – Dee Ford, DE, Auburn
24. Cincinnati Bengals – Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
25. San Diego Chargers – Jason Verrett, CB, TCU
26. Philadelphia Eagles – Marcus Smith, LB, Louisville
27. Arizona Cardinals – Deone Buchanan, S, Washington State
28. Carolina Panthers – Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State
29. New England Patriots – Dominique Easley, DE, Florida
30. San Francisco 49ers – Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois
31. Denver Broncos – Bradley Roby, CB, Ohio State
32. Minnesota Vikings (from Seattle Seahawks) – Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
In my opinion, the biggest upset was pick #32, Teddy Bridgewater, QB of Louisville. Minnesota had last pick of the round and took him. Texans have first pick for round 2 of the draft which is live tonight. Houston wanted Bridgewater bad as there’s a huge QB issue currently going on with the Texans. Now it appears that Derek Carr might be who the Texans will pick second round tonight. There’s just as much of a Carr sensitive button in Houston as there is a quarter back problem. I wish all the teams the best of luck in trying to get their best picks tonight. It’s fun to watch; so let the games begin!
You can watch the second round of the Draft tonight on ESPN and NFL Network at 7PM central.
Photo credit: Associated Press